Sunday 5 February 2012

CD Cover research


First album I have chosen is Rihanna's album which was released in 2009. It's called Rated R. The album cover was made by Simon Henwood. I think the most important part about this album cover is the fact that there aren’t any colours. This automatically shows that this album cover isnt meant to be about joy, happiness etc. its meant to show something like anger or depression. Well thats why opinion anyway. The R on the side is 3D and I think it gives a lot of definition and meaning to the cover of the album. The other text is the album title 'Rated R' in the bottom right corner. Its written in small and not really clear letters so the person can concentrate on the R and the picture on the cover. I really like this album cover, its different and interesting.





The musician of this album is Beyonce. The title of the album itself is called B'day. This album was meant to be released in 2004 although there was some delays and they first published it in 2006. The cover it self I really like. To me its like Nature like, before the picture and the background blend in well. The picture of Beyonce is really clear although the background is blurred so you get to concentrate on the musician. The writing is quite interesting as its not just simple letters, it elongates on the sides and the font isn’t just a simple one its more like script. The colour of the text is white I think its because they don’t want to distract listeners from the picture of the musician. I really like this one mainly because of the colours, its nature like really neutral and well composed together.










This third album cover is called Doo-Wops & Hooligans. The musician of this album is Bruno Mars and it was released in 2010. The cover designer was Nicki Bilardello although I’m not so sure it was her. This is one album I chose that is cartoon type, it doesn’t not have a real person picture like the 2 other ones that I talked about. The colours are quite funky as yellow really stands out. Its really interesting and unique I think as I haven't seen an album anything similar to this. The writing is in yellow but really faded yellow, its quite clear and bold. The album name however is really small and its quite hard to see it although it is in black and meant to stand out. I like this album because usually I like albums better when they have real photographs unlike this one which is cartoon-like.





Last but not least is another Rihanna's album. The title of this album is called 'Loud' and was released in 2010. The album cover was designed by Alex Haldi. I really like this album mainly because of the colours, the colours are mostly warm like red, pink although the shadows which meant to be black are blue/purple which tells us that there is also cold colours included. The really interesting part about this album cover is the fact that it is close up, so the photograph of Rihanna is really clear. The picture looks really gentle and works really well for an album cover in my opinion. The album name at the bottom is really thinly written although its quite big, I think once again they wanted to concentrate on the picture itself. I think it works really well and I like this album cover a lot. Well done Rihanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment