Monday 15 October 2012

My inspiration for the final piece: Samuel Durkin reasearch and opinion


My inspiration for my art work was by an artist called Samuel Durkin. He is a British artist born in Portsmouth,England. He grew up in a small town of  Oxford shire called Wallingfor. He was surrounded by art works since his mother who has done many art movements such pointillism  realism as well as expressionism. He went to Bournemouth and Poole art college to study art. He had some health problems but even then art seemed to be the one thing he concentrated on. He learned about a lot of painting techniques looking for his own style, and I think he got it. He had some heart problems but he still found himself painting whenever he possibly can.

His movements are a mixture of impressionism as well as abstract. But no matter how abstract he went he always wanted the paintings to be not so abstract that you couldn't see what he wanted to achieve. Many times he kept painting over and over again on one canvas to create a very thick colour for his base which he mainly used three primary colours: cyan, magenta and yellow. He thought that with the base of these colours its easy to show the vibrancy of his final work. He mainly used bigger flat brushes doing his work to achieve more rough, not so precise brushmarks which I also tried using in my final piece to achieve a very nice, unique style.

He was inspired by many famous artists such as Piet Mondrian and the famous piece of his called Vond (Evening); Red Tree as well as the later cubist art works such as Composition with Red Blue Yellow which is also very famous. He was also inspired by Claude Monet but that was earlier in his work. He is known by his nude painting as well as cityscapes but he has also painted animals. He believes that his art work is still to be developed and the way he paints now has been developed from many experimentations and art works as well as influences from other artists.

 In my opinion he is an amazing artist that should get some more credit for his work since he isn't so known. He has this unique style of painting that I really liked. I think it was very hard for me to understand the technique he has painted his art works in but that's why I developed through quite a few stages finding out my style that would be inspired by Samuel Durkin. So now I understand why its so good and useful to experiment with your art work because you never know when you going to like what you produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment