Monday 15 October 2012

Evaluation


This evaluation is about observational drawings and development. This unit was really strange and alien to me at first, but later in the assignment I learned to enjoy it. Firstly it was quite strange since we had a live nude model coming in whom we had to draw from over and over again. The life sessions were fun, I think it was a new and really good experience that I do think doesn't happen too often. It seemed quite an easy project to start from.

I used different tools to draw with such chalk coal or just chalk which weren't new to me, but it was the first time I used it on a big scale which was numerous of A1 sheets. I have also used pencils and soft pastels at times. It was hard since when we started we didn't get much time for example a minute for a pose and there were quite few poses like that which came out really rough in my opinion still it was the poses I used in my developments and final piece. I also had to research the artists and some pictures of art works that I wanted to work from in the style of. I chose Samuel Durkin who is an amazing artists that produces beautiful pieces of art. I mainly focused on that artists because it was tricky enough so I wanted to focus on one technique to work from.

My final painting consists of a base which was done to an almost black, very thick colour using primary colours blue, yellow and red. After that has dried a little I painted only the lighter areas that I wanted. So whatever I wanted darker I didnt paint over with lighter and brighter colours. My focus when it comes to colours were warm colours. The reason for that is because from the start of my development I found the red/yellow warm background goes the best. So I started building colours on top of eachother starting from light yellow and white to orange, magenta and red. After I have done that and painted all the light areas i wanted to be light I used a wash and painted a thin water based colour on top which really blurred it which I really liked. After that I added the finishing touches which were more tones of different colours on the figure and i also blurred the arms a little so they blend well with the background. The pose was one of the most common poses that I mainly used through out the development so I decided to stick with it.

This final piece was one of the hardest to come up with, I have done 3 other art pieces that I thought are going to be my final but weren't. I am happy I went through all the frustration of finding a painting technique that will work well because I am happy with the end result. I am happy about the fact that I experienced new things such as working on easel as well as drawing a life model. If I had more time I would have definitely researched more artists so that I can experiment more, but over all I'm happy with the work I produced and with the different stages I went through my developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment