Monday 15 October 2012

About and how I developed my final piece


My first painting was an experiment in the technique that I wanted to do my final piece in. I used warm colours which were yellow and red which i mixed and got orange from it. For the background and it was done using a palette knife as well as for the outline of the figure that I painted. Using a palette knife was quite tricky since i could pick up a lot of paint unless i used it sideways but for the background it was quite easy to use, but very hard, almost impossible to blend or get a smooth blended surface. I knew palette knife technique was going to be tricky.

Then my other experiments which were developed onward from the first experiment was a little different since I used a mixture of cold as well as warm colours to create a contrasting background. I have not use tonal value in my first experiments since i was using a palette knife. my brush/palette knife marks were a mixture of big and small, bigger for the background, smaller for painting the figure. I only used acrylic paint through out my developments but I also used a little of ready mixed paint.

For 2nd and 3rd of my experiments I have used a squidgy which helped me drag the paint out creating a hoped for abstract look in my painting. i used squidgy on a few of my developments but then i realized it wasn't the tool for me to use.

For the next development pieces I used different tools, firstly i started using a paintbrush. I used bigger and thicker ones and smaller ones. On my other experiment I used acrylic once again and a big flat paintbrush to create a green background. I'm not sure why green but I thought it would be quite nice to use a different - cold colour since i was using warm colours in my previous development pieces. I used black to outline and shade in the figure and then i used white to add the light areas and then I repeated the process with the white and the black to create tonal values.

The other piece which is really light, was done in the technique I wanted to do my final piece in. I basically painted a black background and left some white outlines for the figure, this time I used a different pose. after it completely dried I used a wash which was a really watery 'top coat' to get more natural blurred effect. I used a little white mixed with loads of water for that. after that i started painting everything on top white or really light yellow to get a very light and nice blended background. I added very light shades to the figure I done which I have done using bright colour such as yellow, pink, red, blue and purple mixed with loads of white so that the final developed piece is the closest to what I am going to make as my final piece.

For my first 'final artwork' I have went completely different direction since my paint dried out very fast so I had to do it again. Firstly the blending or wash didn't go well since everything dried very fast and after a was it was exactly the same. Then I wen't even further and added some abstract bubbles in the background which was even more weird and completely different to what I was planning to do, so that piece which was suppose to be my final piece turned out to be just another experiment with painting techniques. To me that was too precise, I wanted something more rough and textured.

No comments:

Post a Comment